Tuesday 12 February 2008

First contact

I got his number from sister and rang in the evening while mum and dad were watching TV.

I told him I was his youngest sister, presumably, as I knew nothing about his birth-mother's family. I can remember very little of the conversation. Just that I found him hard to understand and had to keep asking him to repeat what he'd just said. He spoke so fast. And in that dialect, a dialect I hardly ever hear so have no practice understanding. Perhaps he was nervous, I know I was. I only remember him cutting me off when I said it was rather a long time ago, that dad had been very young -- he blurted '27!' -- which took me a little aback. Well, I suppose that's not all that young, not exactly a teenage pregnancy thing. I guess he'd thought about it, studied the facts as he knew them from the paperwork. To me it was another lifetime, a past I in no way was a part of. Did he feel rejected by knowing that youth was not one of their excuses for giving him up for adoption?

We exchanged some more pleasantries, exchanged e-mails and hung up.

No comments: